Our Mission: The Houston Zoo connects communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife.
Our Vision: The Houston Zoo will be a leader in the global movement to save wildlife.
The Houston Zoo is seeking well-qualified candidates for the position of Environmental Graphic Designer. This position will focus on developing unique and comprehensive signage packages for the Houston Zoo, including branded environments, wayfinding solutions, and exhibit enhancements. LEED accreditation a plus. Must have knowledge of working on MAC platform.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships across all internal departments (including Animal Programs, IT, Conservation Education and all Operations departments) and works closely with Zoo staff as clients
- Executes and/or manages the aesthetics of signage projects from visual concept and design, to fabrication and installation, including creating and reporting schedule, scope and budget for all projects
- Works closely with a multi-disciplinary team of content developers, designers, fabricators, and vendors to create cohesive environmental graphic design solutions
- Integrates messaging, color, imagery, type and composition into 2D, 3D built, and digital environments
- Specifies materials and construction methods for both interior and exterior applications
- Coordinates with vendors and fabricators to obtain quotes, as well as deliverables
- Responsible for preparing final documentation and production-ready artwork for 2D, 3D built, or digital applications
- Manages fabricators and installers to ensure integrity of final signage application
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years directly related experience in the field of environmental graphic design and production
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental graphic design, information design, or similar
- Ability to visualize ideas in two and three dimensions
- Strong composition, information design, and typography skills
- Experience in project work involving signage systems and wayfinding programs required
- Must understand wayfinding analysis, code compliance, comprehension of architectural plans, and know how to develop scaled drawings of signage and graphic elements.
- Familiarity with materials, processes, and fabrication techniques of environmental graphics systems
- Strong aptitude in software modeling and animation programs • Effective problem solving and interpersonal skills and ability to interface with all clients and employees
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) with CADtools, and MS Office
- Skills in AutoCAD/Revit and SketchUp, or other 3D modeling programs a must
The work environment is generally comfortable and most work is indoors although the position will require some work outside in the Zoo, depending on the project scope. The Graphics department is a small team environment consisting of the designers and the Creative Director, who work in-house at the Houston Zoo. This position reports directly to the Creative Director, and works with members of the other Zoo departments, and often coordinates efforts between the other staff such as copywriters, photographers, theming designers, project managers, and other specialists, as well as outside vendors. About the Houston Zoo The Houston Zoo is made up of many moving parts with over 6,000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care and, yes, even education! There are over 2 million guests each year who come to experience our incredible variety of animals and ecosystems, as well as attend special private and public events and entertainment. Our dedicated staff works around the clock to ensure that the Zoo is always running smoothly for the safety and well-being of our residents and guests. We strive to ensure the protection of all the counterparts of the animals we have at the Zoo and in the wild.
Join the Houston Zoo and become a part of an organization that is focused on the preservation of wildlife and their habitats by combining conservation with education and promotion of sustainable livelihoods in the local communities. Houston Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer
MUST SUBMIT A PORTFOLIO TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION