Position open in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
At Blitz we believe that architecture should tell a story — an interesting and compelling story. What are we about? Where do we stand? What are our passions and what makes us happy? These are legitimate questions and we should seek answers to them throughout the design process. After all, it’s not about money, notoriety, or fashion: it’s about doing something that has value. And when you get that right, everything else follows.
Blitz is a full service architecture and interior design firm specializing in workplace, commercial, retail, and hospitality design. We provide the complete range of architectural services required to take a project from programming through construction. We are an agile and passionate team who abide by the doctrine of compelling design and technical rigor. More than just an architecture firm, we are a team of multi-faceted designers that build upon one another’s strengths to provide total design solutions for our clients. Our team is comprised of talented architects, interior designers, graphic designers, and communication specialists whose roles interweave to provide novel and thoughtful solutions. Above all, we are committed to fostering lasting partnerships with our clients, crafting experiences rooted in place, and creating projects with lasting value.
About the Position & The Benefits of Working Here
The Environmental Graphic Designer at Blitz is responsible for the design of graphics, signage, wayfinding, and specialty installations for projects ranging from corporate offices to high-end retail spaces. The Designer will lead all graphic design and production in coordination with the associated architectural and interior design team. We are looking for a confident and experienced designer with a history of leading projects in the built environment, from tenant improvements to commercial interiors. The ideal candidate will possess an expertise in brand identity, print collateral, digital + user experience design, and video + motion.
At Blitz we uphold the highest standards of project delivery and professionalism, and the Environmental Graphic Designer will lead by example in all aspects of projects’ production processes. This is a full-time position with benefits. Compensation is based on ability and experience. Blitz’s work is moving far beyond commercial interiors into bio-tech, higher education, international hospitality, and developer-led adaptive re-use. We are looking to expand our stellar technical design team to support this growth.
- Full-time employees receive four weeks PTO (including the week between Christmas and New Years when the office is closed.)
- 401(k) with generous matching.
- Flexible working hours with four nine-hour days and a half day on Friday.
- Full medical, dental, and vision coverage is provided.
- Nine paid holidays.
- Strong continuing education support on both a firm-wide and an individual basis.
- Stocked kitchen and fresh coffee daily.
- Bachelors or higher degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communication, Interior Design, Industrial Design, Architecture, or similar.
- 7+ years professional experience with environmental graphic design in the built environment with emphasis on signage, wayfinding, and branding.
- A thorough understanding of branding and design principles that relate to two and three dimensional design.
- Mastery of typography, layout, and color.
- An understanding of fundamental wayfinding design principles including spatial analysis, user research + testing, language + legibility, and information design.
- Expert proficiency of the Adobe Creative Suite as it relates to architectural projects, with the added ability of communicating ideas in sketches and renderings.
- Familiarity with the architectural process, including the ability to read construction documents, elevations, plans, and shop drawings. Revit experience is a major plus.
- Excellent verbal, graphic, and written communication skills.
- An understanding of graphics production and fabrication techniques for both interior and exterior applications.
- Experience coordinating with fabricators and graphics vendors.
- Experience designing specialty installations and coordinating with local artists is a plus.
- Experience with graphics project pricing and bidding processes.
- Strong presentation skills, showing the ability to clearly communicate ideas visually and verbally to clients and team members.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a larger design team.
- Candidates must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
How to Apply
Email your cover letter, resume, work samples and salary requirements in a single document in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or drop-ins please.