The California Academy of Sciences has a unique opportunity for an innovative Exhibit Graphic Designer to join its Creative Studio and help shape the visual design of new exhibits for its Renzo-Piano designed museum in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
The Exhibit Graphic Designer collaborates with the Creative and Exhibit teams to execute environmental graphic projects for exhibitions and wayfinding. From developing comps to creating visual identities and iconic graphics to shipping production-ready files, the Exhibit Graphic Designer is involved in all aspects of designing engaging science experiences.
The California Academy of Sciences welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in achieving our mission to explore, explain, and sustain life on Earth. We place diversity, equity, and inclusion at the heart of our recruiting efforts and strive to build a culture centered on mutual respect, equal treatment, and the opportunity to succeed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with Exhibit Core Team and Creative Director to lead in the development of exhibit graphics look and feel and interpretative panel family
- Execute comps/presentations/elevations of concepts for review
- Design exhibit-related promotional materials, including wayfinding, banners and signage
- Create, select and develop appropriate images in collaboration with others (e.g., illustration, photography, information graphics, image retouching) as needed
- Create basic illustrations for graphics
- Help brainstorm and visualize mechanical and digital interactive exhibit design concepts
- Design graphics and understand interaction flows for screen-based exhibit elements
- Manage and track all aspects relating to design and production of exhibit graphics
- Build accurate production-ready files with accompanying specifications in a timely manner
- Oversee color and print testing on various materials and substrates
- Work with graphics vendors to ensure prints are produced and are on schedule
- Create exhibit graphic installation documents for vendors as needed
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education or equivalent combination of education and experience to succeed in this position:
- Bachelor's degree in design or related field
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a professional design situation including a minimum of 2 years of experience designing exhibit graphics
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Indesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Have excellent understanding of and facility with typography
- Ability to manipulate photographs
- Ability to create vector illustrations and infographics
- Understanding of spec’ing and preparing work for a variety of production outputs
- Knowledge and application of user-centered design concepts to help ensure a rewarding visitor exhibit experience
- Ability to visualize/prototype graphics in the context of the exhibit experience using basic motion/animation/3D model studies
- Knowledge of current exhibit graphic design practices, materials and fabrication techniques
- Understanding of design for a three dimensional space
- Awareness of sustainable/green practices, materials and fabrication techniques
- Ability to manage short and long-term projects and coordinate deadlines and resources
- Ability to collaborate and provide constructive feedback in working with internal and external partners
- Clear, thorough and professional communication with vendors
A Qualified Candidate will also:
- Be very organized, responsible and resourceful
- Be a team player with good interpersonal skills and a growth mindset
- Be able to manage and track multiple complex projects
- Be very detail-oriented and work well in a fast-paced deadline driven environment
- Be able to take direction and seek help when needed
- Have a modern design sensibility and refined typographic skills
- Have a sense of humor
- Be aligned with the mission of the Academy
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals. Bilingual (spoken and/or written) in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, or other non-English language preferred.
DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 50% of the time. Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at Note that the recruitment timeline for positions vary and depend on many factors, so it is impossible to accurately predict when a position will close. We appreciate your patience during this process. No phone calls please.
The California Academy of Sciences will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. There is also no smoking in Golden Gate Park.