Second Story is seeking a versatile Experience Designer to design rich, innovative, and immersive experiences. Exploration and experimentation is the M.O. of our studio of artists, designers, tinkerers, coders, and thinkers. Our Experience Designers are fueled by curiosity, unafraid of ambiguity, and pay close attention to what makes audiences tick. They work collaboratively with all other specialists to ensure that every project ultimately takes a human-centered approach that aligns with design criteria and client needs. Experience Designers have an interdisciplinary mindset and are skilled at working within both the digital and physical worlds. They realize that design elements across multiple mediums must come together to choreograph not only the audience’s physical journey, but its emotional journey as well.
• Contribute to ideation and crafting of creative concepts
• Work collaboratively with the entire project team for the duration of the project
• Turn insights into creative concepts
• Effectively communicate ideas to stakeholders and clients
• Use and create models, like user journey maps, to frame and understand human needs in an experience
• Conduct research through stakeholder and audience interviews, environmental observations, and content reviews
• Organize and categorize information into meaningful structures
• Design and facilitate collaborative workshop sessions with stakeholders and audiences
• Able to create digital and/or physical prototypes of an experience and adjust designs based on evaluation
• Work on projects, pitches for business development efforts, and lab-based experiments
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO IS
• Curious and embraces experimentation
• A self-starter, who brings positive energy to their work and inspires their team
• Open to listening, conversing, and working with multiple perspectives
• A keen, empathic observer who is able to understand human needs and wants
• A critical thinker who enjoys solving complex problems
• Passionate about design, technology, and art
• An effective storyteller and communicator who enjoys solving complex problems
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Experience designing for environments with digital, physical, and visual components
• A proven track record applying experience design across a range of interactive formats
• Can articulate a strong conceptual ‘why’ behind the experience, before determining the form it will take
• Strong knowledge of the design process in order to deliver complex projects
• Ability to clearly articulate ideas (sketch, verbal, and written)
• Familiarity with tools that allow for multiple fidelities of prototyping (i.e. Illustrator, SketchUp, After Effects, etc.)
• Professional degree and 2+ years of experience in Experience Design or related field.
This position will be located in Portland, Oregon with a competitive, comprehensive salary and a benefits package that includes medical, dental, disability, employer-contributed 401(k), and professional development funds.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and portfolio to email@example.com.
ABOUT SECOND STORY
Second Story is a network of design studios focusing on responsive environments, story-driven experiences, and experience innovation. For more than 20 years, we have conceptualized, designed, and developed environments that educate, immerse, and activate across the cultural and brand space. In our studios in Atlanta, New York, and Portland, designers, producers, and technologists collaborate in a lab-based environment to create experiences that reward audience interaction with powerful, personalized pathways through content and the world of ideas. Second Story’s work has received hundreds of awards and is included in the Smithsonian’s permanent research collection on information technology. For more information, visit www.secondstory.com