SEGD, the multidisciplinary community of professionals creating experiences that connect people to place, is a community of 2,500 members with 35 chapters around the globe.
SEGD is looking for an experienced new business and sales specialist with the primary responsibility to grow the association’s revenues by selling advertising and sponsorship opportunities to new and existing members and customers.
SEGD consists of a small staff of 8 who are on a fast trajectory having grown membership by over 100% in the last 5 years and swung from mainly Baby Boomers to 47% Millennials and 34% Generation X in the same period. This turn around has been achieved by pursuing an aggressive digital strategy to deliver at least 50% of our member benefits digitally.
SEGD is an innovator in the association world actively working to become the prototype association demonstrating how to deliver digital value and create new member value streams for professional associations. We have learned that this is the key to attracting the Millennials in the digital age. Your role will cover both the physical and growing digital sponsorship, advertising and Firm Listings sales areas.
This position will be responsible for:
- Meeting the annual budget by generating and closing sponsorship and advertising sales (roughly 30% of the SEGD Budget)
- Building customer loyalty, managing the customers and accounts
- Follow through of all commitments made in the sales process
- Ensuring that the customers information and all artwork is received ready to integrate into the website and events.
- Preparing the annual sales process and co-lateral.
Education and Experience
SEGD is a unique community of designers, fabricators and materials vendors who work in close collaboration with each other. Ensuring a close alignment of the needs of the association with the needs of the customers is an important outcome for success in this role.
Bachelor’s degree in business, administration, communications or meetings and event management preferred. At least 2-3 years’ successful sponsorship sales experience.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate should be:
- Outgoing, confident and possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Have a proven track record of developing sales and new business for an association
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Be comfortable talking to our fabricators and vendor partners and developing new potential customers on the phone
- Understand consultative selling methodologies
- Be organized and able to manage time effectively in a deadline-oriented environment
- Possess an attention to detail
- Take initiative and work on multiple projects and events at one time
- Possess the ability to respond quickly to changing priorities while meeting deadlines
- Be a self-starter able to multi-task
- Travel occasionally (2-4 times a year)
- Be comfortable working independently developing new leads
- Able to think logically as well as creatively (experience in a design firm/fabricator is a plus)
- Knowledgeable about social media and digital marketing
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Experienced in using an Association Management System (AMS) and Salesforce
- Experience with website CMS systems such as
Drupal would be a plus
position will report to the CEO and work closely with the Events Director,
Marketing Manager and COO.