We are looking for a progressive, digitally fluent Marketing Manager who likes small scrappy entrepreneurial environments to support the growth of our community and promote registrations to our events.
SEGD, the Society For Experiential Graphic Design, consists of a small team of 8 staff who do a lot with big ideas. Ours is a can-do culture from building our website to running our conference. You have to like doing things here! We act more like a digital start up than most associations placing heavy emphasis on our ability to innovate using our digital capabilities - that includes the marketing role!
SEGD has growing strongly at about 7-11% a year with the intention of accelerating that to about 20-25%. Membership has grown 75% in the past 5 years and we have turned the demographics from mainly Baby Boomers to 47% Millennials and almost 30% Gen X. Revenue generation is the responsibility of three staff members, Membership, Sponsorship/Advertising and Registrations. You will be fully and solely responsible for growing registrations to the association’s events and awards. In addition, you will support the membership marketing activities. The right candidate would ideally have a design degree and/or background and a proven record of success in growing community and event registrations for associations. On a day-to-day basis the role consists mainly of digital marketing communications, including all of SEGD’s social media activities. However, how we are marketing ourselves now is not going to achieve the desired growth. In order to succeed in this role over time, the right candidate will need a clear understanding of the concepts of marketing and how to bring other elements of marketing such as data mining, user research, product development, PR and brand into play to help us achieve our goals.
We are looking for the right creative thinker with:
- Strong writing and communications skills to produce effective marketing communications materials and witty, interesting campaigns.
- A clear sensitivity and respect for design is required. A formal training as a designer is a definite advantage. This is a community who do things at a level of excellence for their clients and expect the same from their association
- The skills/competence to do user behavior research to uncover the latent needs of our members
- A good understanding of the theory and principles of marketing, not just marketing communications, as it will be needed in the long term to improve the effectiveness of the marketing function within SEGD. The candidate will need to be able to design, implement and execute marketing communications at a high level for this demanding community. We do not use outside consultants. All campaigns, materials and research is done by the in-house team.
- Over the long-term the ideal candidate will need to be able to work with the CEO to match the capabilities of the organization with the real needs of our members (i.e. to do help with the product/service marketing function) and contribute to producing new service offers to meet those needs through digital services.
- Out of the box thinking skills to motivate busy professionals to participate in SEGD events.
- Deep interest in web marketing and building web sites (in Drupal) would be a big plus.
What you will be doing:
- Writing and producing SEGD’s weekly promotions/e-newsletter
- Managing and implementing all of SEGD's social media communications
- Developing and publishing all marketing collateral on the website
- Measuring and tracking the results of all campaigns
- Working on continuous improvement of conversion rates through the redesign and rethinking of our digital collateral, messaging, creative and out-reach strategies
- Continuously growing our connections with our associated communities on-line and growing our marketing lists and participation in the communities related to SEGD.
- Work with the CEO on campaign and service development to grow event registrations by at least 15% a year
Travel is light (10%) to 2-4 events a year.
SEGD offers a rich benefits package including 100% health, dental and vision coverage, a 200% 401k match up to 5% of salary, life insurance, generous vacation time and the normal personal leave and holiday schedule.
What you need to get the job done:
- Bachelors degree in Marketing or Design
- Clear understanding of the principles and theory of Marketing
- Clear understanding and experience of Marketing Communications
- Analytical as well as creative skills. Ability to design collateral materials is a must.
- Strong creative writing skills and an ability to craft marketing copy
- Comfortable calling members, vendors and contacts by phone
- Experience with Drupal or other open source web CMS
- Self starting entrepreneurial spirit.
- Results driven marketing professional.
- Experience driving registrations for conferences and events
- Work well under pressure and be used to working to revenue budgets
Are you up for the challenge?