Second Story is seeking a Senior Environmental Designer to conceive, develop, and detail complex projects across diverse physical environments for influential cultural institutions and brands. Second Story is an interdisciplinary design studio exploring the boundaries between the built environment and technology. You will help us actively evolve the emerging practice of integrated media environment design. You will work in blended teams alongside engineers, architects and industrial designers, graphic and motion designers, experience designers, developers, content specialists, visual effects artists, and producers. You will be responsible for the execution of individual projects as well as the maintenance and evolution of our documentation and construction administration standards. This is an exceptional opportunity for a rewarding career path outside of the traditional architectural setting.
• Design for a wide range of 3D objects, interiors, exhibits, sculptures, furniture and fixtures.
• Collaborate in conceptual development and visualize design concepts through both hand-drawn sketches and computer renderings
• Manage the execution of physical design scope on projects blending media and environments
• Create contract documents, including drawings and specifications, and consult on the aspects of agreements related to physical design as appropriate
• Administer construction; develop and maintain consultant, fabricator, and contractor relationships
• Maintain and evolve studio standards of practice
• Pursue innovative collaboration in project development and execution in concert with teams from other disciplines
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• A professional degree in Exhibition, Interior, Industrial or Architectural Design is required
• At least 5 years professional experience
• Robust portfolio demonstrating the design and detailing of contemporary and innovative physical exhibition environments
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to present design concepts directly to clients
• Strong visualization skills including hand-drawn sketching, 2D and 3D renders
• Demonstrated relevant 3D software capabilities
• Direct experience with and knowledge of materials
• Ability to create beautiful contract documents that inspire fabricators to do their best work
• Digital fabrication experience
• Demonstrated construction administration experience
This position will be located in our Portland, OR studio on a full-time or contract basis. Full-time employees receive a competitive, comprehensive salary and a benefits package that includes medical, dental, disability, employer-contributed 401(k), and professional development funds.
Please send your cover letter, resume and portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT SECOND STORY
Second Story is a network of design studios focusing on responsive environments, story-driven experiences, and experience innovation. For more than 20 years, we have conceptualized, designed, and developed environments that educate, immerse, and activate across the cultural and brand space. In our studios in Atlanta, New York, and Portland, designers, producers, and technologists collaborate in a lab-based environment to create experiences that reward audience interaction with powerful, personalized pathways through content and the world of ideas. Second Story’s work has received hundreds of awards and is included in the Smithsonian’s permanent research collection on information technology. For more information, visit www.secondstory.com