The GNU Group is aggressively looking for an experienced Senior Environmental Graphic Designer to lead the strategy, planning and execution for environmental branding, architectural signage and wayfinding solutions.
We are looking for candidates with strategic experience in Healthcare, but additional experience in Aviation, Corporate, Education, Civic, Residential, Retail, Entertainment or Hospitality will make you an even stronger candidate. Some of our current clients include Kaiser Permanente, UCLA Medical Center, Cedars Sinai, La Clinica de la Raza, Ravenswood Family Health Center, Workday, Facebook, LinkedIn, Lyft, Blackrock, City of South San Francisco, City of Mountain View, USF, CSU Chico, St. Ignatius College Prep, LAX, Strada, Trinity, Boston Properties and Ellis Partners.
This critical position is a strategic leader at GNU Group and is a client-facing, problem-solver who can develop strategy, build brands, direct design, manage projects and lead teams. Candidates that possess the requisite knowledge, experience and initiative have the potential to evolve into a principal-level position at the GNU Group.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Wayfinding Strategy & Planning: Develop comprehensive wayfinding strategies and designing user-friendly wayfinding sign programs. Conduct wayfinding assessments, research user group behavior and concerns, identify circulation patterns, organize destinations, establish hierarchy of information, determine wayfinding language, and meet with stakeholders. Identify functional and aesthetic factors that define design criteria, set operational and compliance parameters and provide fabrication and installation scenarios and budgets.
- Project Planning and Execution: Review and approve the work plan during the proposal phase and upon contract execution including: Scope & approach, milestones and resourcing schedule, budget, and establishing primary responsibilities for client and team communication, change management, financials – (Billing, collections and budget), and project closeout – lessons learned.
- Design Management: Manage the creation and design of integrated branding programs within a built environment. Interface and coordinate with clients to understand client needs and desires, and develop and present strategic design solutions. Collaborate with other professionals working with the client to jointly develop design solutions and integrate those solutions into architectural drawing sets.Manage staff to create design intent packages that include specifications, materials, and locations for signage, wayfinding and branding elements. Train and mentor junior design professionals.
- Project Team Communication and Management: Responsible to mentor, grow and engage with the team in furtherance of their professional development. Foster positive project team collaboration and a team culture where creative ideas are encouraged and implemented as appropriate. Communicate with clarity and purpose. Lead by example.
- Healthcare Thought Leadership: Provide ongoing thought leadership on all healthcare projects. Develop thought leadership content on an ongoing basis for marketing and business development. Share knowledge and lead training sessions for staff development.
- Technical Management: Accountable for the overall quality of the work and to ensure that project deliverables are consistent with project excellence.
- Financial Management: Maintain a positive financial position for GNU Group and projects; constantly understanding and resolving material variances. Accountable for delivering projects at or above our work plan estimates.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 10 years’ experience in wayfinding, environmental branding, and architectural signage
- 5+ years’ experience in leading healthcare wayfinding strategy & implementation
- Ability to lead design teams and provide creative direction
- Strong sense of design and good concepting & typographic skills
- Organized, with excellent problem solving, time management and risk management skills
- Proactive, flexible, team player with the confidence and integrity to earn client and internal team trust quickly
- Excellent presentation, verbal, written and leadership skills
- Ability to plan, document and execute project plans, including scope definition, timelines and budgets
- Ability to adjust to dynamic project situations and respond accordingly
- Solid foundation in understanding of materials usage, scale, lighting and construction of environmental graphics
- Solid foundation in understanding of ADA and other accessibility and fire safety codes
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance – 100% paid coverage for employee
- Company paid holidays
- 4 weeks paid time-off (PTO)
- Simple Individual Retirement Account (IRA) Plan with employer contribution (Matching up to 3%)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environment
- Great company culture centered on transparency, honest communication, prescribed process and personal responsibility.
The GNU Group (www.gnugroup.com) is a San Francisco Bay Area based, cutting-edge environmental graphic design and project management firm. Our multi-discipline studio employs a creative staff of professionals who provide planning, design and turnkey management for branding, environmental graphics / architectural signage, wayfinding and marketing communications. Our areas of project expertise span the healthcare, retail, corporate, hospitality and mixed-use sectors.