Arup’s Integrated Planning team is seeking a talented and motivated Senior Graphic Designer & Wayfinding Strategist with six to ten years of relevant experience to work in our New York City office. The successful candidate will share our passion for creating great places and working with interdisciplinary teams of planners, designers, and engineers to deliver creative solutions for the built environment. The candidate will be a leading voice amongst the Integrated Planning team’s strategists, planners, and designers and will be expected to manage projects, lead experiential and graphic design efforts, plan and design wayfinding systems, and support business development efforts. As such, the candidate will have strong project management experience as well as experience in all phases of the design process from proposal and scope development, wayfinding strategy, concept design and graphics development, through fabrication and installation.
Bring your vision to shape a better world. At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways – developing many of the world’s most innovative and sustainable buildings, transport and civil engineering projects. Arup is a global engineering and consulting firm of 13,000 creative minds. Our integrated approach to planning, engineering, and design brings together the best professionals to meet our clients’ needs.
In this role, you will:
- Help advance the graphic design capabilities of the Integrated Planning team and support in the development of reports, documents and submittals, design documents, marketing material, data visualization, maps and diagrams.
- Take a leading role developing wayfinding and signage projects from start to finish including analysis and development of wayfinding strategies, sign location plans and message schedules, sign design concepts, schematic designs, design intent packages, and signage guidelines.
- Manage wayfinding projects and tasks including developing and monitoring scope, schedule and budget, coordinate directly with project team and clients, and provide guidance to junior staff.
- Collaborate with the team to support planning, master planning, urban design, pedestrian movement and user experience projects within the built environment.
- Assist in the development of construction documents, procurement support, and fabrication for wayfinding signage projects.
- Coordinate design and delivery with clients, architects, engineers, and design team members.
- Take a leading role identifying and responding to Requests for Proposals and coordinate with other disciplines as required to write, review and submit proposals.
- Take a leading role in business development and winning work within the wayfinding and signage offering.
- Work collaboratively within a planning and design framework, take direction from the team leaders and develop high quality, client-ready deliverables within tight schedules and budgets.
- Provide clear, concise written, verbal and visual communications to the client, design team, stakeholders, suppliers, and vendors.
- 4-year degree in architecture, industrial design, environmental graphics, graphic design or similar program,
- Six to ten years’ experience after graduation in graphic design, signage design, architecture, experiential/environmental graphic design, specification and production for static and dynamic wayfinding systems.
- One to two years of project management experience
- Experience with signage materials, specifications, fabrication and installation methods.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating with sign design packages, with fabricators, experience with RFIs and signage installation.
- Proficiency drawing to scale, developing and reviewing detailed elevations, plans, sections and shop drawings.
- Strong visualization skills and graphic sensibilities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with experience working with clients, vendors, consultants and project teams.
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite and CADtools.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Experience with GIS platforms and map production.
- Creative and critical thinker who is equally collaborative and independent
- Proficiency in Rhino, Revit and/or SketchUp
- Experience with digital experiential systems
- Experience with Virtual Reality as a design tool
- Experience with Design-Build
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, 10% 401K match, paid time off and profit share bonuses.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.