We are looking for a full-time Sr. Environmental Graphic Designer with five to eight years of experience in the following design fields: environmental graphics, interiors, exhibits, industrial, or architecture. Must possess a strong portfolio of work that demonstrates an understanding of core design skills in wayfinding and environmental graphics. Experience in print or digital design is a plus, but a passion for wayfinding and environmental design is required. The primary goal of the Sr. Environmental Graphic Designer is to support the Principal, the design team, and project management team in designing and producing wayfinding solutions in various mediums (architectural signage, print, and digital communications) for transportation, parks, and campus facilities. To be success in this role you must have experience in all phases of the design process from wayfinding strategy, concept design, and graphics development through construction and fabrication. The right candidate will clearly demonstrate leadership characteristics, leading with thoughtfulness, empathy, and intellectual curiosity, and have unmatched organizational skills and attention to detail. You must be a problem solver and decision maker who is self-motivated, with strong interpersonal skills, passion, positivity, energy, and ambition; and be willing to reach beyond your comfort zone to excel and grow.
Concept Development and Design (25%)
- Take a leading role in the development and full lifecycle of wayfinding and signage projects.
- Understand the fundamental project goals, objectives, and requirements as they relate to the client and their users.
- Manage wayfinding projects and tasks, including developing and monitoring scope, schedule, and budget; coordinating with the Principal, project team, and clients; and providing guidance to junior staff.
- Help advance the design capabilities of the team and support the development of reports, submittals, design documents, marketing materials, data visualizations, maps, and diagrams.
- Determine how research-based results, best practices, and innovative approaches for our target clients (transportation, education, and campus facilities) can develop into strategy and design.
- Review all architectural drawings and construction plans and conduct on-site reviews as needed.
- Assist the project lead in the development of creative briefs, research strategy, and project documentation.
- Lead in the development, implementation, and refining of high quality, innovative visual solutions that solve the stated wayfinding, design, and business problems.
- Review and discuss concepts with the Principal.
- Lead junior staff on the development of message schedules and location plans.
- Research fabricators, printers, and other production-related vendors.
- Execute, design, and implement any production-related documentation including bid drawings, documentation, fabrication detailing, material use, and final electronic layout files and guidelines.
- Ensure that all signs meet necessary building and fire codes and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.
- Ensure quality and accuracy of all electronic files released to fabricators and printers.
- Write fabrication and printing specs and assist project lead with any necessary construction administration, inspection of samples, shop drawings, and submittals provided by fabricator.
- Attend press checks and on-site installation and publish punch list.
Client and Project Management (10%)
- Utilize workflow technologies that support Via Collective project management systems.
- Attend on-site wayfinding audits, fabricator/vendor sites, and client meetings, as needed.
- Liaise with team, throughout project, on issues related to design, revisions, and production; provide necessary guidance and updates to project lead, as needed.
- Coordinate with project manager on issues related to adhering to and monitoring of project budgets, schedules, and scope of work/revisions.
- Prioritize and schedule project tasks to meet budgets and deadlines.
- Communicate alterations in project plan, deadline changes, extensions, etc.
- Brief and update project lead on project meetings, schedules, and project status.
- Communicate internal or external conceptual obstacles to project lead and recommend solutions.
General Studio Responsibilities/Administration (5%)
- Develop, define, and understand yearly and quarterly personal goals with the Principal that provide learning, growth, and success opportunities.
- Enter all hours (billable and non-billable) accurately in time-keeping system (completed daily by end of day).
- Ensure current knowledge of contemporary art, graphic, and design trends.
- Participate in daily project update meetings.
- Participate in professional organizational events, as requested.
- Provide clear and concise written, verbal, and visual communications to client, design team, stakeholders, Principal, suppliers, and vendors.
- Support Via Collective’s overall culture, values, and mission by bringing passion, positivity, and a problem-solving approach to the team.
- 5-8 years of experience in graphic design, signage design, architecture, environmental design, specification, and production for wayfinding systems
- Demonstrated experience in the competency areas outlined above as responsibilities
- Creative, critical, and analytical thinker who is equally as collaborative and independent
- Strong visualization skills and design sensibilities
- Proficiency in drawing to scale, developing and reviewing detailed elevations, plans, sections, and shop drawings
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), CAD tools
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Nice to Have
- 1-2 years of project management experience
- Experience with geographic information system (GIS) mapping technology
- Experience with Revit, Rhino, and/or SketchUp
Please send a cover letter and resume in one PDF to email@example.com with the subject line: Summer 2018 SED – (Your Name). In your cover letter, please describe why you are interested in working with Via Collective, the key qualities that would add value to the firm, and your salary requirements.
Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No calls please. We will only consider candidates authorized to work in the U.S. No relocation package.
Compensation is commensurate with applicable experience. Paid time off, education supplement, and professional organization membership offered. No health care provided.